Many people are frequently asking about using Lightroom on a multi-user environment:
- What is the easiest way to share Lightroom catalogs with different computers?
- Can two computers share ONE Lightroom catalog?
- How to share my Lightroom catalog with my laptop?
- Lightroom can be shared by different users on a server?
- Can a catalog be shared in Lightroom?
- How to put an Adobe Lightroom catalog on a network share?
- Does Lightroom support multiple users working on the same catalogue simultaneously (i.e. storing the db on a network share and sharing it among the users)?
The short answer: multi user is NOT supported in LR at the moment. The Lightroom catalog is SQLite database which is single user only. When LR is open
a .lock file is created. You can find some work around on the Internet, but please check out before our Daminion Server, the multi-user photo management software that can work in conjunction with Lightroom.
Lightroom and Daminion can exchange the data through XMP metadata: both products can read/write image annotations into XMP, including hierarchical keywords, so you can use both products simultaneously. Watch video
Daminion is a network based photo management solution for small teams.
Multiple users can view, annotate, and edit your digital assets quickly and without risk of losing information; your digital library will be protected from irreparable damage, which is not the case when using a file-server based solution.
- Windows 2000, XP, 2003 or 2008 Server, Vista, 7, 8
- Pentium III - 1 GHz
- 1 GB RAM
- Local Network (100Mb)
Daminion Server can run on common Windows platforms like Windows XP Standard or Windows 7 Business. It is not necessary to buy an expensive Windows Server.
Some of the Benefits of Daminion
The Alternative for Lightroom if you Need a Network Based Photo Management Solution
- A true multi-user photo management solution that protects your content from damage, unlike File-Servers based systems
- Affordable price for small teams
- None of the endless monthly fees demanded by hosted solutions. You pay once.
- No need to hire a system administrator, and no specialist knowledge necessary to install and administer the Daminion Server.
- Much more secure than web-solutions - all your content remains inside your firewall
- Restricted access to content by User Roles
- Ability to work with huge size media archives (up to 500K-1M files per catalog)
- Version Control (Check in/out). Avoid work being redone because you’ve lost your original versions!
- Powered by free, reliable and widely adopted PostgreSQL database engine
Broad media format support
Import more than 100 formats including:
- Photos, including camera RAW format, transparent PNG and JPEG 2000
- Video, including H.264 codec and MKV format
- Adobe formats including PSD, DNG, PDF, InDesign and Illustrator
- Limited support for Autodesk DWG and DXF
- Audio formats
Quickly classify and retrieve your assets
- Super simple and clean interface
- Focused on cataloguing (no built-in fancy image editors and publishing tools) with excellent bridge to external photo editors like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.
- Multiple catalogs (both local and shared) can be opened simultaneously like the pages of modern web-browsers.
- Quickly classify and filter your content by tags using AND, OR operations
- Supports complex hierarchical tags (keywords, locations, etc.) with no limitation on nesting levels
Using hierarchical tags you can describe your content more precisely and as result spend far less time locating your important files.
- Quick, advanced and saved searches with support for AND, OR operations
- Automatically sync image annotations (tags) with metadata (IPTC/XMP/MWG)
- Each tag is mapped into a set of metadata. For example, Place Tag is mapped into eight metadata fields:
During importation, the Place Tag will be filled out from information extracted from the IPTC/XMP.
- Daminion can even write metadata into Camera RAW formats, including CR2, NEF, DNG, ARW, MRW, PEF, without creating xmp sidecar files…
- Unlike other content organizational tools, Daminion will correctly write/read hierarchical keywords from/to IPTC/XMP. So your hierarchical structure will not lose data when you export or move your files. Learn more about how Daminion supports metadata
- Using the Properties panel you can not only see all the media file information but you can also display complex hierarchical tags. Any changes you make can be undone until you click, Save.
Integration with external system
- Integration via XMP Metadata is the best way to exchange information between different systems. With XMP, you won’t have to depend on different API versions of various other systems. Daminion will read/write metadata in many formats including image, camera RAW, vector, video, audio and PDF files.
- Open and edit assets in external applications
Export with optimization on demand
- Optimize images for sending by email or publishing on the Web
- Optimize and then email images via your favorite email client (with MAPI support) or via your Gmail (or Google Apps) account
- Daminion API is available to extend Daminion’s export capabilities by developing your own export extension
Daminion, or the answer to the question: How to Share Lightroom Catalogs with Different Computers?
Graphic Design/Donor Services Co-ordinator at OneBook
I REALLY like Daminion. I find it very easy to use, very fast, and extremely flexible. I keep telling my friends about how much I like it!